Friday, February 24, 2012

Update

After complaining yesterday about my current read, The Economics of Inflation by Constantino Bresciani-Turroni, and struggling through another chapter last night, I made the decision to put it down and pick up something new. I have moved on to The Scramble for African Oil: Oppression, Corruption and War for Control of Africa's Resources by Douglas Yates which looks at the resource curse prevalent in Africa. I read the introduction and it seems pretty interesting. His approach is to identify a host of important elements and factors that create the problems and to choose a country as a case study to examine each. He notes that his method is slightly heterodox, as it does not take a broad brush approach and try to isolate a single factor. At the same time, he thinks the traditional method is flawed, often running into problems of violating ceteris paribus. In that way, he sounds a bit like Steve Keen, which is probably a good thing. In any event, I'll report back when I'm done.

As for the book about German inflation, I will return to it at some point. But a break was needed.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...