Wednesday, October 10, 2012

When a Good Trade Goes Bad

Back during the summer doldrums, when the mining stocks were getting taken out to the woodshed, I bought some long-dated call options on GG, AUY and EGO.  I also put on a smaller trade with $45 GG call options set to expire on October 20.  My entry price was somewhere around $0.97.

Needless to say, when QE to infinity was announced and the whole gold sector took off, all my options positions shot up too.  My October calls basically tripled.  But, I didn't sell.  Fueled by a bit of greed, I was in the process of moving accounts to a different broker, and so decided that I had the time to wait until everything was done to close out the position.

Fast forward to this week.  The transfers are finally done (after a few hiccups which were unfortunate) and now I am underwater after the recent correction.  With only 7 more trading days until expiration, I'm not going to cut my losses yet (the chart actually suggests that GG might be at a bottom), but, trust me, a lesson was learned.  Namely, that when you are putting on a trade, and not an investment, you need to be satisfied with the quick hits.  I think there's an expression about pigs getting slaughtered that would be entirely appropriate here.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...