Thursday, February 21, 2013

Yellow Dog Update

For my own edification, I decided to examine the gold chart to get a better handle on why I have been so wrong lately. I think I now understand why Faber saw $1,550 as the logical landing spot, if he was of the belief that the uptrend was not ready to resume yet.


Anyway, above is a weekly chart that dates back to mid-2008. What you’ll notice is a distinct uptrend that moved along in a consistent and measured way through the first half of 2011. Then, in the summer, there is a huge spike up that coincides with the sovereign debt downgrade. After that euphoria, gold falls into a range with about $1,550 on the bottom (the level where the spike started) and $1,800 on the top. Had it not been for the spike to $1,900+, the pattern since mid-2011 would look more like a consolidation pattern and likely would not engender the same degree of angst from gold bulls and bears alike. Maybe I’m stubborn, but I continue to believe that the fundamentals underlying a long gold position remain in place. Chart be damned.

But, turning to the technicals, I think Faber is right about where the support will kick in. It has done it at that level several times already over the past 2 years. On the upside, the band between $1,700 and $1,800 is where the struggle will occur. Using those levels, therefore, is how I might craft a trade.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...