Tuesday, March 19, 2013
The Big Win
I flew through this book by Stephen Weiss (2012) because it was an easy read...and because there wasn't really a whole lot to it, despite the driving premise. The author, an investment manager himself, profiles a group of "successful" investors -- that term intentionally in quotes because I'm not so sure I agree with his assessment that all of the subjects are worth talking about. Nevertheless, the characteristics and practices that are consistent in each are intellectual curiosity, a passion for research and the desire to learn everything they can about a potential investment (and by that, it includes a real understanding of the contrary view), an ability to take ego out of the investment process and to admit mistakes (with a subsequent effort to learn from those mistakes), and finally a real focus on risk management. Otherwise, not much more to say here.
Broken Money
The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...
-
Are when the contrarian should think about buying. And so I tried. Some AUY LEAPS (filled) and a small mining services company that I like...
-
In his most recent post , Michael Pettis explains the problem of investment misallocations and too much debt, simply yet brilliantly (his po...
-
I found the following quote from a 1991 paper by Harvard professor Greg Mankiw interesting: "At any point in time, policymakers with...