Tuesday, April 30, 2013

More Shorts

Today I initiated another short position -- this time in the Spanish bank Santander (NYSE: SAN).  While already down about 20% from earlier this year, it is still up about 50% since last summer, when the problems that have not gone away on the Continent were front and center.  In fact, in the past 2 years, the spring/summer has turned into an absolute bloodbath for Europe and its financial system.  I see no reason why it will be different this year.  That, and the chart also looks crumby.  And I was inspired by a recent interview from Jim Chanos.

As they say, the rain in Spain falls mainly on the banks as they get squished like a bug on your windshield.  Or something like that.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...