Saturday, August 3, 2013
Japan's Inflation
Over at one of the blogs I follow on Japan, they put out a piece today looking at the inflation numbers for that country that were released on July 26th. Much was made about the +0.2% increase YoY (the first such increase in many months), signalling perhaps that Abenomics is getting its desired result. But, digging into the numbers a bit, if you back out energy and food, the number becomes -0.2% - in other words, the inflation that is happening is more of the cost push variety (i.e., the weaker yen is causing manufacturing costs to go up) rather than demand pull (i.e., consumers are becoming more active). They want the latter, which is somehow considered the good type because it implies higher wages, but are setting themselves up for a whole lot of the former, which correlates to stagflation or something worse.
Broken Money
The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...
-
I found the following quote from a 1991 paper by Harvard professor Greg Mankiw interesting: "At any point in time, policymakers with...
-
Are when the contrarian should think about buying. And so I tried. Some AUY LEAPS (filled) and a small mining services company that I like...
-
In his most recent post , Michael Pettis explains the problem of investment misallocations and too much debt, simply yet brilliantly (his po...