Friday, July 9, 2010

No sugarcoating

So, Lebron picked Miami. I always thought he was a longshot to come to NY, but now we have certainty -- what was thought to be a perfect union, was nothing more than a media creation mixed with plenty of false hope. I like Amare Stoudemire. I think the David Lee sign-n-trade netted some solid pieces. But, in the end, trading draft picks and throwing away the past two years didn't amount to all it could have been.

At the same time, the free agency period became an absolute circus. I think the hour long special to rip Cleveland's heart out was a disgrace. With ego and bravado like that, how could he have picked any place BUT New York!

Still, we did learn something about him -- enough to make me question whether he was the guy to bring the Knicks back. For all the hype and attention he has received, the otherworldy ability, in truth he's not the man. By signing with Miami, he conceded defeat. At the age of 25, he decided to pick the easy path. While the great ones embrace the challenge, Lebron folded. I have no doubt that the Heat will win a title, but I bet far fewer than most are anticipating. Because for all the talent, we know what to expect when times get tough. All sizzle, no spice. The throne has been renounced.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...