Thursday, November 10, 2011

What's New?

I haven't had much to say this week. Been reading quite a bit, and hope to have a post soon on what some of the titles have been.

On a perhaps attenuated note, I've noticed that I barely turn on the TV anymore, as evidenced by the backlog of shows on my DVR. However, one thing that did catch my attention this week (well, for at least 45 minutes last night and most of this post) was the Joe Paterno situation. I'm glad that he was shown the door -- he did not deserve to go out on his own terms after what was revealed. And I can only shake my head in dismay at the reaction of some of the students on that campus. Does not speak well in my opinion for the future generation. I think it will be interesting to see if he tries to file some sort of wrongful termination suit -- I would welcome the opportunity to be the lawyer who cross-examines him.

Anyway, the other item that I have been keeping tabs on is the NBA. I have always been a big sports fan, with the Knicks my greatest love. It's too bad that the Amare-Carmelo experiment has not had the chance to continue its evolution. But, it sounds like the players are starting to get more desperate. And while I am agnostic as to which side should come out with a bigger piece of the pie, whatever solution may ultimately come only means a quicker return to the games.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...