Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Lebron

The popular pick to win the NBA title is Miami. And through two games, I can understand why. They seem to resemble a team much more this season, as is usually the case with any group of players that gets time together and has a setback like last year's Finals to bounce back and learn from. Still, my own pick has not changed; I outlined the argument in my last post. Instead, I want to elaborate on it a little bit, in light of what I hear from the TV broadcast and studio teams covering the Heat games.

For starters, and as a tangential point, any suggestion that the combo of James/Wade resembles the defensive prowess of Jordan/Pippen is laughable. We always want to frame what's happening now as better than anything that came before. And we do a disservice to the past.

But, back to focus, given the way Lebron has played so far, there is a major improvement on display -- namely, that he is spending more time on the low block. Particularly if his jumper is not dropping. So, if this game-changing transition is really happening, it begs the question, what does it take to stop him? And, for the most part, I think people are paying attention to the wrong end of the court.

To wit, Deshawn Stevenson (currently with the Nets, formerly of the Mavs, Wizards, etc.) has been coined a "Lebron-Stopper". Given Lebron's struggles in the Finals last year, perhaps it is even deserved too. But, if Lebron really has decided to use his advantages on the block, there is no single defender who will be able to do much with him anymore. Which is why the the only way to stop Lebron is by putting him up against someone who is just as adept as he is on the offensive end. And either he gets himself into foul trouble, or his offensive contributions are netted out on the other end by his counterpart. From my seat, there are maybe two guys in the league who present that challenge to him. And one of them plays for the Knicks.

Anyway, the Heat have looked impressive in transition, have an interesting rookie named Norris Cole, and seem to understand what their strengths are as a team. Still, I continue to believe that the Knicks match up well with them. And if they can end up with anyone resembling a point guard this year (I still have faith in Baron), then I remain very comfortable with my prediction.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...