Sunday, December 4, 2011

Maybe Oliver Stone Gets It

I have probably seen the movie Wall Street 50 times -- I like it very much...at the least first half (the second half is pretty depressing).

Anyway, perhaps because I have become more sensitive to certain ideas, I noticed something pretty interesting during my most recent viewing. You may recall the character Lou Mannheim (Hal Holbrook) -- he is functionally the voice of reason and Bud Fox's conscience in the movie. Well, below is his first line when he gets introduced to the audience:

"...country's going to hell faster than when that son of a bitch Roosevelt was around. Too much cheap money sloshing around the world. The biggest mistake we ever made was letting Nixon get off the gold standard..."

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...