Saturday, January 21, 2012

On The Precipice

I'm not sure the title is really appropriate, especially since I haven't been able to watch the games as a Time Warner customer, but clearly I am referring to the Knicks season.

When I made my call at the start that the Knicks could win it all, I knew they were missing a big piece at the point guard spot, and noted as much when I said Baron Davis would be the ultimate x-factor. Of course, even though I thought they might struggle a little bit until he was ready, I never thought they would be this bad. From what I can gather, Stoudemire in no way resembles the player from last year and the team has seemingly quit on D'Antoni. And if that's right, then this team is destined for nothing more than mediocrity. Davis might have an impact when he returns, but it feels like this team is so lost right now, that even if he comes back in all star form, it still might not be enough.

Again, I feel a little hamstrung in this analysis since I can't watch them play. But, since there would be no point to this unless I made some bold comments, here goes...

They need a new coach and they need to trade Stoudemire.

The former is kind of a no-brainer. D'Antoni gets another 10 games or so to right the ship, perhaps a few more than that depending on when Baron Davis starts playing, but whatever the poison that is infiltrating this team, the coach is always going to be the first fall guy.

As for Stoudemire, he had the right personality to be the guy who signed here and helped set about the re-emergence of this franchise. But he has never been the type of guy who could take a back seat. So when Carmelo was brought in, he probably thought he would still be the top dog. But, he isn't and he shouldn't be. What's happening with him this season is either mental (see sentences proceeding) or physical (in which case get him out of here before he can't get you anything in return). And if he does get traded, there are really two ideas to pursue:

(1) Get a top flight point guard. Easier said than done. The only scenario I can see being remotely realistic is that it happens next offseason when the Nets fall flat in their pursuit of Dwight Howard, realize they won't be able to re-sign Deron Williams, and decide that trading him for Stoudemire at least gives them a marketable piece in return for their debut in Brooklyn. Undoubtedly, if it happened, it's the type of move that would re-invigorate Stoudemire, resulting in a win-win for both teams. Beyond that, I don't see any other star point guards out there to be had.

(2) Even more unrealistic than the first trade, package Stoudemire and Chandler for Howard and a pu-pu platter of Orlando's bad contracts. Not worth spending much time on it because I think it is so incredibly implausible, but I've put it out there.

Ultimately, this team sounds like it's poorly constructed from what I've read. And without confidence. So something will be done.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...