Thursday, February 23, 2012

Random Musings

At some point I plan to proceed with a series of posts about the Steve Keen book, I just haven't focused on it yet. In the mean time...

-I started a new book about the hyperinflation in Weimar Germany. The topic is one that I've always wanted to learn more about. Unfortunately, the particular book in question has yet to suck me in. It seems it will be a chore to get through.

-I continue to read through my regular mix of econ, investing and sports sites on a daily basis (a group that extends beyond those listed off to the right). Unfortunately, particularly with respect to the first group, the topics covered lately have generally been on the drier side. Hence, not much to grapple with and to inspire blog posts here.

-With that said, one of the econ blogs that I follow had a recent post about the gold standard during the interwar period, which of course led to the author throwing out the standard meme that owning gold is silly and that the asset class is in a bubble. One of the readers made a comment in response that I quote below:

"Do you see something wrong with the structure of this argument: I cannot see why asset X is so expensive, or has gone up so much -- although I am not an authority on X, or on bubbles -- and I therefore declare X a bubble?"

Sounds about right.

-Finally, another game, another win. Lin looked more under control, but he was playing a team without its two best players. Tonight in Miami should make a stronger case one way or the other about whether he's for real.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...