Saturday, April 28, 2012

First Derivative

Any investment manager, broker, or CNBC pundit worth a lick will tell you that it's a healthy exercise to review your portfolio periodically and make sure that the thesis and rationale behind each position continues to make sense.  Today I took a slightly different tact.  Rather than looking at what I have already, I challenged myself to identify the investment ideas that are compelling, but which I don't have enough (if any) exposure to currently.  Simply put, I jotted down an idea and then tried to come up with several ways that I could capture it.  It was six items long and I feel comfortable that I had some semblance of a path for each.  Not all are necessarily feasible at this moment, but it got me excited about the possibilites.  And in the end, part of the joy that I get out of this stuff is in trying to be a unique thinker about the trends that are coming and going and the ways to monetize them.

As a final note, the Knicks got smoked today.  But, fortunately, whether you lose by 1 or 33, it still only counts as one game.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...