Friday, July 27, 2012

Asleep With My Eyes Open

To be honest, I've been a bit bored lately.  Not on all fronts, but certainly as it relates to the investing universe.  The market doesn't offer too much in my opinion.  Gold continues to consolidate.  The miners drop, pop and repeat.  The Yen may have hit an important turning point.  But, even there, I don't have enough skin in the game yet to get really worked up about it.  Which leaves me thinking about an alternative framework for how to invest so that the blood begins to flow again.

Frontier markets.  Nothing new in my writing that.  But, more precisely, I want to start getting involved in the early stage, seed round financings of companies in remote countries that have promising futures.  It's the way that I want to put my money to work, for the portion that does not currently have a job.  It means building up a network of contacts and learning who the key players are in different places.  I've started that process, but I plan to do it even more.  Smaller bites at the apple, but greater diversification, and the realistic expectation that a home run doesn't just mean 2x on your money, but 10 or 20.

Now that could get me excited.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...