Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Offseason Update

The Knicks have been busy.  I like the Kidd and Camby additions, both come cheap and fill holes (they probably need another 2-guard, with Fields likely going to Toronto and Shumpert still out for a bit, but that's not a huge problem going into the season).  I'm glad that Novak and Smith got re-upped.  I can handle matching the Lin contract, as it became a foregone conclusion after Nash went to the Lakers.  Nevertheless, none of it addresses the existential problem that this team faces -- Carmelo and Stoudemire do not mesh very well.

Add to the mix, with Dwight Howard likely headed to Brooklyn, it's possible that the Knicks won't even be the best team in New York.  A lot of it boils down to how the Anthony / Stoudemire project can work itself out.  I expect Carmelo to be a much better player this year, as it sounds like he is using the summer to get into great shape (playing on Team USA probably helps a lot).  I don't know what Amar'e  has been up to, other than getting engaged, but he tends to be a workout warrior (that is, when his body isn't breaking down).  Still, I am hesitant to put myself out there with a prediction again.  At least, not yet.

Another interesting reality to consider: Anthony, Stoudemire, Chandler, Lin, Kidd, and Camby will all be free agents following the 2015 Finals (and Shumpert will be a restricted free agent).  In other words, this group has 3 years to get it done.  If they don't, the front office will likely be pressing the reset button that summer.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...