Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mid-Year Report Card

Back on the last trading day of 2011, I wrote the following.  While technically a bit past the mid-point of the year, I wanted to take inventory of how I've done so far.

1) Passing grade.  The sun has shown up each morning as expected.

2) Europe's central planners are not doing a great job of managing this situation and giving the market what it wants, which is more liquidity.  But, at some point, I expect them to relent.  In the most literal sense, it is coming to a head.

3) The Yen has held up pretty well, but my view is that the crack is starting to form, hence the new position that I took last week.

4) The gold market is not for the faint of heart.  I don't think the bull market is over, but recent price action has made the call for $2,000 look very questionable.

5) While it might end being just barely, it appears the market will end the year higher than it started.

6)  Treasuries have done well, like I thought.  In fact, even better than I thought.

7) 2013 appears to be right on schedule.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...