Monday, March 11, 2013

Swimming Time Away

I’m not gonna lie, I miss running. And to say that I’ve easily transitioned to life as a swimmer would be wee-bit of an exaggeration. I have had a few swim lessons and realize that I pretty much have no idea what I’m doing. That, and the pool I swim in is always really crowded, with people totally ignoring how fast they are going relative to anyone else in the lane.

Nevertheless (I think I use that word a lot), I have been scouring the internet for suggested workouts. Because, as it turns out, when I just turn up at the pool with no game plan, my workouts kind of suck. Here’s one I am going to try:

-10 minutes easy
-4 sets of 100m, hard pace (recover between each set)
-10 minutes easy
-250m (alternating 25 hard, 25 easier, with no breaks)
-10 minutes easy

All told, that probably keeps me in the pool for about 45 minutes, which seems decent. I will probably wear my short fins to remind me to keep my legs engaged. It’s hard to get as much out of swimming as a good run, but only more time in the water will help me to get there.

I have a follow-up appointment with the doctor this week. My leg was feeling better, but then started to hurt again. I’m hoping this break (pun intended) won’t be another 4 or 5 month production like last year. Which is why I need to figure out this swimming thing, just in case.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...