Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Family Secrets

The subtitle is Secret Strategies for New York City Multifamily Investing and the author is Peter Von Der Ahe (2010).

As part of my professional transition, I am spending more time thinking about NYC real estate than I have in recent years.  And while this book doesn't offer a ton of new information if you have experience in the industry, it does spend some time on the rent regulation laws which comprise a large part of what makes this market both unique and tricky.  The insight, for lack of a better word, was not something terribly novel, although it was not something that I had thought about either.  Regulated apartments are arguably a hedge in bad times.  Given that they operate at below market rents, even if the economy were to suffer a downturn, cash flow for these units should be immune.  And while I'm not looking to get into the affordable apartment game, the presence of these apartments should not be a deal killer either.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...