Tuesday, June 17, 2014

On My Mind

-It’s not really a secret that I have been rooting against the Miami Heat for the past 4 seasons. But, in the aftermath of the Spurs’ dominant win this year, I have to admit that I found Lebron James to be a sympathetic figure in defeat. Maybe it was because it looked like he was out there alone in the Finals, getting little help from his teammates. Or maybe it was because he seemed to be pretty gracious in defeat – the first one over to congratulate his opponents after the final buzzer. I don’t know if the window on Miami’s title hopes has closed (they definitely need to add some bench depth), but if it is, I’ll mark it by saying that Lebron is definitely the second best player of my lifetime. And, if he wants to come to my Knicks, we would welcome him with open arms.

-When the Iraq war started in 2003, I was still wet behind the ears and not smart enough to understand the ulterior motives behind the action. I’ve grown up a bit since then and am now fairly skeptical of most everything that my government does. Which is why I knew that the adventures in Syria would only lead to bigger problems. My instinct all along was that the real U.S. ally in the region would end up being Iran. Well, today I read an article that is both terrifying and a confirmation of my priors. The West has created a tinderbox out of the Middle East and we will all have to deal with it for many years to come.

-Of course, when you see articles like this one in the Gray Lady, where the case is made that global economies are struggling because there isn’t enough war…well, then, I guess everything makes a bit more sense.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...