Wednesday, January 7, 2015

A New Year

Better late than never to welcome everyone to 2015. I have been hard at work on a new project that I hope will take off this year. It has left me with little time to offer my usual commentary on the inane.

I did finish Skyscraper Dreams by Tom Shachtman (1991), the subtitle of which is The Great Real Estate Dynasties of New York. A good read for anyone interested in that industry in that city. And it arguably doubles as a bit of Jewish history as well. Published over twenty years ago, it concludes as the country is in recession and there is a bit of uncertainty about what will be coming next. Except to say, the dynasties understood that if they had patience and staying power, they were in an asset in a location where losses would eventually be recovered and generational wealth could continue to grow.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...