Sunday, February 3, 2019

You Can Be A Stock Market Genius


The subtitle is Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits and the author is Joel Greenblatt (1997).

Some years back, Harris Kupperman mentioned this book as one of his favorites on investing.  And it does focus the reader on special situations in stocks where risk/reward is more favorable – such as spinoffs, recaps, merger securities, etc.  However, given the highly automated and computerized nature of today’s markets, I question whether these strategies still work in nearly the same way, since algorithms are looking for exactly these inefficiencies (and likely do it far faster than any human mind).  Maybe when today’s lofty levels come back to earth, some of the concepts discussed will be more fertile terrain.  Or, maybe, I don’t pay attention to the stock market in the same way that I used to, so I’m not really prepared to put in the extra work to see for myself.  Regardless, his style is light and entertaining and his discussion of special situations is instructive.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...