Saturday, June 2, 2012

From the Pile

What I’ve read lately…

Decision Points by George W. Bush.  Underwhelmed by his Presidency, but always liked him for some reason.  This book reinforced the latter for me.  While his chief speechwriter assisted in the writing, you could still hear his voice in the wording.  And in this format, he is much more coherent about his ideas and why he did what he did.

The Little Book of Emerging Markets by Mark Mobius.  Only an okay primer on investing in these markets (specifically through equities), and I found myself highlighting very little.  And, at that, mostly his ideas on being a contrarian.

The Hilliker Curse by James Ellroy.  A bizarre memoir from the successful crime novelist.  His writing style is unique, so you either like it or it can get tiring.  Sign me up for the latter camp.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...