Friday, October 5, 2012

Mish Mosh

A few things to cover:

-Today's jobs report was probably a big boost to the Obama campaign, as the unemployment rate dropped to 7.8% -- the lowest it's been during his presidency.  The meaningful decline from 8.1% was triggered by a household survey that suggested 873,000 jobs were added in September.  Sounds great, right?  Well, a full two-thirds of that number (582,000) were part-time.  So, that's the society we're becoming.  We create jobs, they just aren't terribly good.

-This guy doesn't typically view the world as I do, but he captures well my complaint about the "great" thinkers of the dismal science: "Economists generally focus purely on the efficiency/growth effects of inflation..."

-I have been running again with some regularity (after suffering through foot tendinitis in my initial foray two months ago).  My shins are barking a little bit, so I have started doing an interesting exercise designed to counter shin splints.  You stand on a step, heels in, with most of your foot hanging off.  Do 60 seconds non-stop of flexing your feet all the way up and all the way down (30 seconds with legs straight and 30 seconds with knees bent at a 45 degree angle).  3 sets, one-minute rest in between each.  By the end of the five minutes, it feels like your legs are going to fall off.

-And, finally, it gave me a good laugh...

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...