Sunday, June 11, 2017

Lawyer Hat

In the midst of a professional pivot, I find myself very interested in brushing up on the law.  Such was the decision to pick up The Supremes’ Greatest Hits, a book by Michael Trachtman that provides a non-legalese understanding on 34 of the Supreme Court’s most important decisions over time (as an important disclaimer, it was published in 2006, so any decisions since then are not covered).  And while I do not have any specific needs to be a constitutional scholar with what I am working on, it can’t hurt to re-introduce myself to some of the important legal principles that guide the Court and make ours “a government of laws, not men”.  Those include judicial review, the commerce clause (and how it was cleverly wrapped into a basis for the Civil Rights Act), and the imagined yet realized right of privacy that enabled Roe v. Wade.  Fun stuff.

Broken Money

The subtitle is Why Our Financial System is Failing Us and How We Can Make it Better , and the author is Lyn Alden (2023). I feel like I hav...